Saturday 10 September 2016

Video Game Glitches Part 2 - Bad Drivers, Headless Apparitions, Etc.

Welcome to part two of my three part series on video game glitches/oddities that I just happened to catch on camera. Last week we looked at some amusing death poses. This week's theme will be glitchy behaviour, glitchy appearances, and some random bits of trivia I've come across. Let's go!


It's no secret that the NPCs in Far Cry 3 are terrible drivers. I've seen them drive off cliffs, I've seen them flip over and die, I've seen them run allies over, I've been run over by them a couple times. I've seen two opposing NPCs drive in circles around eachother in a pathetic attempt at a demolition derby. In this example here I liberated an outpost which is usually followed by a car full of friendlies showing up to secure the place. Except in this instance I guess the driver didn't brake hard enough so the jeep drove straight into the water. Apparently NPCs in this game can't swim, so after being buggily ejected from the car (once it ground to a halt) they all immediately started shouting and drowning. After a brief struggle, their lifeless bodies floated for a moment before sinking to the seabed. I laughed so hard that I cried.
Here's another from Far Cry 3. Cassowaries are predators that will attack anyone near them. But not here. While in the process of liberating this outpost I shot open the animal's cage expecting it to raise hell before I made my move inside. Unfortunately for me – yet fortunately for the bad guys – the cassowary just didn't feel up to fighting privateers, I guess. What's more, the bad guy in front of it didn't even take notice. He simply continued sitting at the fire, not doing anything. So that means that there's two fails going on at once.
Did you know that the man with the world's longest fingers served in the Canadian Army during the Second World War. It's true. I learned it from Call of Duty 3. For some reason when he crouched his Bren gun stayed at waist level and his fingertips were stuck to it so they stretched way out. Ew.
Here we see Lt. Minh Young Kim getting his face broken – literally – by a Theron Guard in Gears of War 2's multiplayer. I've only ever seen this happen to Kim and (especially) Dizzy – Dizzy's face is really buggy, probably due to how it's supposed to twitch. But yeah, it was pretty funny to see Minh's nose and jaw broken.

Everybody knows how buggy Red Dead Redemption (2010) can be, but here's one I saw in Undead Nightmare (2010). I rode into Blackwater during a zombie attack and for some reason everyone's heads were missing. Only the humans though; the zombies still had their heads. The headless townsfolk were friendly and they could still talk, but on the radar they appeared as enemies, so I slaughtered them. After all, it could be contagious.
Here's a little curiosity I found while playing through Gears of War (2006) not long ago. Now I'm a pretty big fan of the Gears universe; I've played all the games and read all the books. And as anyone who has read the novels knows, days on the planet Sera are divided into 26 hours, not 24 as this sign seen in the game suggests. Well, let's give it the benefit of the doubt; maybe you are allowed to park here for two hours of the day... You're just not told which two hours those are.

And lastly we have this happy little scene from the end of my season campaign in NHL 2002 (2001). While I am a huge Canucks fan, I'm counting this as a glitch because I don't think this'll ever happen in real life.
Thanks for reading, and tune in next week for the Video Game Glitch series' conclusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment