Wednesday 15 February 2017

Movie Review - John Wick: Chapter 2


   Can we just take a moment to admire this movie's poster? I love it. I mean, there's countless film posters out there that show nothing but the main character's face and – just like one-word movie titles – tell you nothing of what the movie is about. But the poster for John Wick: Chapter 2 does it right. In addition to providing insight into the film's blend of humour and over-the-top action, the poster tells us everything we need to know about this movie: it has people in suits, it has lots of shooting, and everyone wants John Wick dead. And never have I been more thrilled to see a film deliver what it promises!
   John Wick: Chapter 2 follows John Wick, a former hitman who's brought back for one last job but soon finds himself getting more than he bargained for. I have to admit I have not seen the first John Wick (2014), though it is on my to-watch list. To be honest, I wish I had seen it earlier since this movie makes references to things and follows a culture/set of rules already established in the previous film. In fact, it took me a while to figure out what the title character was supposed to be (A spy? A supersoldier? A hitman?). While these thoughts were at the back of my mind the whole time, this didn't impede my ability to enjoy the film.
   Instead I was busy picking up my jaw from the mind-blowing hyper-active action scenes. Balls to the wall doesn't even begin to describe it! The action in John Wick 2 is so good. It's very fast paced, compressing its intensity almost to the breaking point, yet it still remains watchable. It goes for a slightly preposterous, over-the-top feel, which works well with the world this film plays in. The action scenes are brilliantly choreographed, which I think makes the hand-to-hand combat more fun to watch than the shootout parts. One minor complaint I have is that John Wick seems kind of invincible during the shootout parts, which robs those scenes of tension (mind you, he still has difficulty in taking out bad guys). They're still fun, though.
   John Wick 2 is a movie that oozes with style. Fancy-looking shots, bright lights, an electric soundtrack, and a trippy final action scene go a long way to really give this movie some soul. There's also a dog. Neat, huh?
   Speaking of characters, Keanu Reeves does a fantastic job of playing the title character, a man of few words who can still get the job done despite his reluctance to do so. The determination and intensity he brings to the role defies his 52 years. The side characters are also pretty interesting, especially the hobo/genius crime lord played by Lawrence Fishburne, the obsessed bodyguard played by Common, and the mute assassin/bodyguard chick played by Ruby Rose.
   And that's it, I guess. I wish I could have come up with more to say about John Wick: Chapter 2, but there really isn't much to say other than “go watch it”. This is one of the best, most energetic, and skillfully directed action movies I've seen in a long time. It helps if you've seen the first movie, but it isn't required for having a good time with this one. For fans of shoot-em-up movies it doesn't get much better than this.

Grade:

No comments:

Post a Comment