Thursday 1 August 2019

All Songs, Best to Worst: The Doors (Morrison era)


Has it really been two years since I've done one of these? Hard to believe. I guess it's because I don't listen to the entire discography of that many bands (or at least I'm not comfortably familiar with enough bands to judge their entire discographies). Anyways this time we're going to compare The Doors' songs from the Jim Morrison era against eachother.
The Doors is a band that I've only recently gotten into and I'm wondering what took me so long; they're one of the most highly regarded American rock bands ever and their mix of blues, psychedelic, and rock is right up my alley. Their music was both intense and groovy (especially the keyboards by Ray Manzarek), Morrison's vocals were mesmerizing, and the songwriting never failed to take you on a mystical trip. The enigmatic Jim Morrison was the face of the band and he grew increasingly unstable as time went on. He died in 1971 and the remaining members tried continuing The Doors without him but called it quits after two marginal albums. Not many people care about the Doors after Morrison so today I'm going to rank all of the band's 61 songs from the six Morrison albums, best to worst. (Just for the record, I have heard 1978's An American Prayer and while I do think it's interesting I don't consider its tracks to be songs.)

1. “The End”, The Doors (1967)
2. “Light My Fire”, TD
3. “L.A. Woman”, L.A. Woman (1971)
4. “Hello, I Love You”, Waiting for the Sun (1968)
5. “Roadhouse Blues”, Morrison Hotel (1970)
6. “When the Music's Over”, Strange Days (1967)
7. “Riders on the Storm”, LAW
8. “Love Me Two Times”, SD
9. “Five to One”, WFTS
10. “Shaman's Blues”, The Soft Parade (1969)
11. “Not to Touch the Earth”, WFTS
12. “Break on Through (To the Other Side)”, TD
13. “Love Her Madly”, LAW
14. “The Soft Parade”, TSP
15. “The Changeling”, LAW
16. “Strange Days”, SD
17. “The Unknown Soldier”, WFTS
18. “Soul Kitchen”, TD
19. “The Crystal Ship”, TD
20. “People Are Strange”, SD
21. “Peace Frog”, MH
22. “20th Century Fox”, TD
23. “Love Street”, WFTS
24. “The Spy”, MH
25. “The Wasp (Texas Radio and the Big Beat)”, LAW
26. “Ship of Fools”, MH
27. “End of the Night”, TD
28. “Been Down So Long”, LAW
29. “Land Ho!”, MH
30. “We Could Be So Good Together”, WFTS
31. “Maggie M'Gill”, MH
32. “Touch Me”, TSP
33. “Take it As it Comes”, TD
34. “Blue Sunday”, MH
35. “Waiting for the Sun”, MH
36. “Tell All the People”, TSP
37. “You're Lost Little Girl”, SD
38. “I Looked at You”, TD
39. “Back Door Man”, TD
40. “Wintertime Love”, WFTS
41. “Cars Hiss By My Window”, LAW
42. “My Eyes Have Seen You”, SD
43. “Wild Child”, TSP
44. “Alabama Song (Whisky Bar)”, TD
45. “Summer's Almost Gone”, WFTS
46. “I Can't See Your Face in My Mind”, SD
47. “Yes, the River Knows”, WFTS
48. “Queen of the Highway”, LAW
49. “Runnin' Blue”, TSP
50. “L'America”, LAW
51. “You Make Me Real”, MH
52. “Do It”, TSP
53. “Unhappy Girl”, SD
54. “Crawling King Snake”, LAW
55. “Moonlight Drive”, SD
56. “Spanish Caravan”, WFTS
57. “Easy Ride”, TSP
58. “Horse Latitudes”, SD
59. “My Wild Love”, WFTS
60. “Indian Summer”, MH
61. “Wishful Sinful”, TSP

No comments:

Post a Comment