Saturday 17 February 2018

Movie Review Repost -- Ant-Man (2015)

Hey, folks. Sorry I missed last week; it's been a very busy time for me. So Black Panther is out this week aaaaaaaaaaaand I'm not planning on seeing it. I'm getting pretty close to burnt out when it comes to Marvel superhero movies. There's so freakin' many of them and they're all so similar in structure (and increasingly the same in tone as of late) that they're all starting to blend together. Plus Black Panther is a character I've never been all that interested in. So for this week let's take a look back at another Marvel superhero film I reviewed back in 2015: Ant-Man. It's amusing to look back and see that even back then I was starting to grow weary of the super-flicks! Though I haven't seen this one since but I wouldn't mind watching it again.


  It's been, like, two months since I've seen a Marvel superhero movie! I need more, dangit! Not seeing them leaves me feeling... antsy. OK, to be serious I wasn't terribly concerned with going to see Ant-Man, at first. So how did Marvel Studios make this one any different from the other dozens of hero flicks they've made this century? Let's find out!
  The story follows Scott Lang, an ex-con who, after a run-in with Dr. Hank Pym, becomes involved in an industrial heist that could have global consequences. It's a fun ride that also has some clever tie-ins to the greater Marvel cinematic universe. The premise of men shrinking size leads to a few great action set pieces in some rather imaginative locations. In a welcome change from most of the other Marvel films, Ant-Man has an appropriately smaller scope and doesn't take itself quite as seriously. This leads to the film having a more comedic tone that works brilliantly.
  All around, the acting is great. Paul Rudd makes a very funny and likeable main character. Corey Stoll – who reminds me a lot of Telly Savalas – delivers a fine performance as the main villain, Darren Cross. We're also given a fun group of sidekick characters as well, which even includes Michael Peña.
  Lastly, Ant-Man is a good-looking movie as well. The dazzling special effects, the intuitive slow-motion, and (if you're lucky enough to get it) the radiant 3-D make this movie a real treat for the eyes.
  All in all, Ant-Man is a fun addition to the annals of Marvel filmdom thanks to it's lighthearted nature and humour. And since it's eponymous character isn't exactly known as the coolest of superheroes, this may be the best that can possibly be done with him.

Rating: four out of five.

No comments:

Post a Comment